Top Ten Unforgettable Moments of 2013 —
10) Soaking in the privilege of watching my little boys grow up. They have changed and grown so, so much over this past year. From Ben giving up his beloved paci to moving to big boy beds to becoming potty trained. So much has happened in the span of one short year!
9) The boys began pre-school this year. It’s been amazing to watch them thrive in school. They have made many sweet friends and absolutely love going to school! They’ve learned so much and really love becoming more independent.
8) Learning that God will use what we offer up to Him. Something that felt so simple – feeding children in need – transformed my heart to see His glory. Overflowing thanksgiving watching Him work on behalf of the little lives in Congo that have been seared onto my heart always.
7) Our daughter received her U.S. VISA in November. This was the final step in our adoption process before we could travel to bring her home. Yet, the suspension of exit permits forbids us from flying out of the country with her. Therefore, we continue to wait. We are sitting on the edge of our seats ready to travel back to her this year!
6) The sanctification process I have experienced this year. The hard, hard struggles and the fierce spiritual battles have led me time and again running back to the arms of my Savior. I’m thankful for the continued glimpses of His glory, His faithfulness, His sovereignty and His unending love.
5) Standing in absolute awe as God’s provision poured in through the body of Christ. We are forever grateful for our brothers and sisters who have linked arms with us on this journey to our daughter…through prayer, encouragement and provision.
4) A week of memory-making bliss at the beach. This has become an annual tradition for our family and we look forward to this week away all year.
3) An unexpected weekend away in Europe. Dave and I spent the weekend in Brugge, Belgium after our trip to the Congo. It was the perfect way to end our trip…we ate, we showered, we slept, we cried, we laughed, we reminisced and shared our favorite memories of S, we walked on every road in the city, and we ate some more. The end.
2) FINALLY, finally, finally meeting our daughter!!! We spent an unforgettable week together this summer in Kinshasa. Saying goodbye to our beautiful, snuggly, perfect little girl was the absolute hardest thing Dave and I have ever had to do. It was, and still is, gut-wrenching. Yet, the memories made that week are cherished treasures. We now know what her personality is like and how it feels to hold her in our arms and what her laugh sounds like. We continue to plead on our knees for God to make a way for her to come home to our waiting arms and hearts. Trusting that 2014 is the year we will be reunited and Ben and Nathan will finally meet their long-awaited sister!!!
On a random side note…Dave’s already starting to ease me into the inevitable purchase of a mini-van. We rented one for our drive down to Florida because there’s just no way around it. Four car seats. Oh my. It’ll take twenty minutes to get in the car whenever we go anywhere from here on out. And, that, my friends, is all kinds of awesome.
Here’s to an incredible 2014! We are waiting in hopeful anticipation for all that God has in store for our family… we know it will be far beyond anything our little human minds can even imagine!!